Friday, March 12, 2010

Araby

Today, we have officially been here in Dungarvan one whole week. One very busy and very fun week. This past week I've been slowly exploring the town, taking walks in the morning before class, and getting a better idea of where things are, as well as finding new places. On yesterday's walk, I found out that Dungarvan holds a Farmer's Market every Thursday in the Square. I knew I wanted to get something, I just wasn't sure what. So I decided to walk around some more and then come back after while. While out and about I found some gorgeous views and a small park. After meandering down by the quay and down a few streets I decided to head back to the farmer's market and see what I could find. While I wandered around between the tents, I felt a bit like the boy in Araby - a bit confused at what to get. Although I wasn't buying a gift for someone else, and everyone I talked to was more than kind, and the market wasn't closing yet. I understood for a moment that sense of confusion and loss that comes when shopping without a purpose, only that sense that you should buy something. Unlike Joyce's character I was a bit more successful in obtaining an adorable cupcake with vanilla icing and sprinkles, and a bottle of apple raspberry juice. Both were delicious!
As we continue our stay here in Ireland, I'll continue my exploring, both here in Dungarvan and around the country. The trip to Dublin is fast approaching and I can't wait. Joyce's characters in many of the other stories mention streets or places in Dublin that I hope to see once I am there!

No comments:

Post a Comment