Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Approaching

The end of our time here in Dungarvan is approaching, finals have been taken, papers are being finished, and plans for return - or how to keep from leaving - are being formulated by all. However, as much as we don't want to leave, I know I'll be glad to see my friends and family again.
The past few days have been a whirlwind. We've gone horseback ridding in the countryside, gone "pub golfing" for a 21st birthday party, a thank you reception, watched the sunrise and have had some quality craic and bonding time. In the last few days we have sort of come together as a group. It's still has it's little groups within it, but it seems that as the days are shortening, the bonds are strengthening. Now I'm not saying we're all going to be best friends after this trip, but there is definitely something special that will keep us together. Even if it's just a hello walking across campus, there's that certain knowledge that this new friend is missing Dungarvan just as much as you are.
I don't think any of us realized how attached we would become to this place, and the people we've met here. I think of this as a second home, and I'm terribly sad that I have to leave it. It pulls on my heart strings to think that I cannot say when the next time I'll be back in Ireland and in Dungarvan after this trip ends. I know I will be back, I just don't know when.
This trip and this town have changed me for the better, I've grown up a lot being here, and have expanded my view on the world. Whether or not I fully realize everything about me that has changed, I know that something in me has been altered, not on purpose, but not without realization. I am intrinsically the same, yet different and I love that feeling.
At our thank you reception last night we hosted town and county members and those people who have made this all possible for us. Our expressions of gratitude and thanks cannot do justice to how much we are grateful for this opportunity and their wonderful enthusiasm and hospitality. The friends we have made, the memories they have given us and the way they have taken us into their lives and homes and allowing us to be a part of their lives is amazing. I cannot express enough thanks to do justice to how much they have done for us. Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment